Monday, September 23, 2024

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I vaguely remember hearing online more about Samuel Sokobin, although I cannot imagine why that should matter now. Sokobin was the man who signed my great-grandfather's passport application in 1917. Yes, how interesting. However, one can easily imagine that for Sokobin that was simply a matter of doing his job while serving as the American consul at Shanghai, in China. Yes, how interesting. Who can say what private communications were exchanged there between the American passport holder/applicant who was my great-grandfather and the American consul, beyond the usual pleasantries of official business? Ok, fine.

Therefore it is a bit weird for me to be hearing all of this stuff about Sokobin, such as the fact that his wife was an Irish woman, not so Jewish as her husband. Ok, fine. I cannot imagine what there would be to discuss with those people, notwithstanding the fact that probably the husband would have been receiving the paycheck for his duties as American consulate, not sure that I heard what Mrs. Sokobin did for a job if anything or what would be her opinion of political events there. Right. Ok, fine.

Yes, we often meet with these official people functioning in their various occupations and jobs in life, and who are we to say what the American consul said in Shanghai in 1917? I just have no idea of that. Maybe you could tell me why I should care about that, although I may reserve the right to digress later maybe, depending on what nonsense you are peddling.