Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I vaguely remember my first job as a reporter covering city politics, and the first time that I covered a city council meeting, the resulting story that I wrote was a bit of a mess. My boss discussed it with me, and scheduled for me a meeting with the city manager, Mr. Burt, who kindly explained to me something about the essential book Robert's Rules of Order, and how these meetings are conducted by the rules as set down in writing by Mr. Robert. So that was helpful for me to understand what was happening when they were up there chattering, and implementing some various motion strategies. My boss also recommended reading some articles written by the competing reporter from the competing newspaper, to see how they do that, in comparison to what how I do that, at least to gauge if I am getting it right or maybe I am getting something that they don't get, in which case never let it be said that I would omit an opportunity to whip the competitor whenever possible, regardless of whether her name may be Cindy from the New York Times.