Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Receptionist

Yes, the City Hall receptionist always seemed to have something to tell the reporters who stopped by City Hall to pick up the agenda packet for the next City Commission meeting. Usually she was not very specific but she seemed to have the pulse of something going on around there, something about the chaotic environment of activists warring with city commissioners. Her precise connection to the activists was not clear to me yet she seemed to be speaking their language. It was usually nothing that you could quote word for word and anyway how authoritative would it sound to quote the city hall receptionist who has no power? Not very. Yet as they tell you in journalism school, we always should pay at least some attention to the little people as well for they also have stories to tell and I am sure there is a lot more to her story than I told. I am sure that I only scratched the surface of that. Stories are not told only by people who are in positions of power. I might have explained this to my editors Steve Ricci and Rick Haydan. Anyway, they wanted to know who was the source of a certain reference and so I told them.