Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Which Reminds Me

When I was growing up, if my Dad ever mentioned having an Uncle Ben once or twice, I never thought much about it. Only many years later did my Dad's Uncle Ben once visit my parents in Florida with his second wife, although I was not there at the time and never met them. Only from research in the diaries of great-grandmother do I learn that he had lived in Northern California with his first wife and two children, Ben and Laurie, and also in South Carolina in the 1960s. Ben, the son, it would seem from the genealogical records, died at a relatively young age, but nothing else is known about him, at least not by me. I had not known that these people existed until doing my research, and even so, I have no idea what to say about them other than their names are listed there. It would seem sort of rude to comment about distant cousins of whose existence I am barely aware.