Thursday, November 3, 2022

Which Reminds Me

Yes, during the year that I was in 8th grade, Susie and Sammy were there also, Susie being in the 9th grade that year, because her brother had flunked third grade, and anyway one day my sister and I were talking to Susie and telling her that she was our best friend, and then she started counting down her friends, and we were numbers 13 and 14 or somewhere thereabouts, her best friend being her 9th grade classmate Josephine, a Filipino girl of whom I remember almost nothing, other than that during one school program she performed a tricky bamboo dance from her native land. Beyond that I have no memory of Josephine, so in terms of friendship Josephine would be simply a big fat zero, not that it wasn't interesting to watch her dance while avoiding getting her feet stuck in the swishing bamboo sticks. One can easily imagine that those Filipino peasants would get a thrill out of that sort of thing.