Friday, November 11, 2022

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I vaguely remember, during my first newspaper job, some anonymous person called in a tip, and I answered the phone, and he was saying that he had witnessed a KKK lynching somewhere recently, it wasn't clear what I would be expected to say about that, does this caller-witness have a name, is there any information available, such as who, when, where, etc.? No, it was simply a vague notion of something that happened maybe. And who would I call to verify that? Why can't he talk to the police? I am not saying that something did not happen, but that was too much for my limited skills to handle at the time, not what I signed up to do.

But of course it is a free country. you may follow the advice, if you so choose, to "Think On." That was the motto with the gruesome head on a spike, but of course that would be a completely different story, probably no connection there, also not something that I signed up to do.