Saturday, March 23, 2024

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I vaguely remember hearing  that great-grandmother was born in Pennsylvania, probably, although one document says New York, unlike the other documents. How could that be? Didn't she live during childhood in Tioga county, which is directly adjacent to the border with New York, but in northern Pennsylvania? But why should one document say New York, a short distance to the north? I don't quite remember the details of that dilemma, but I do remember hearing that when she was old enough to file for Social Security, she had to go there to find someone who could perform as witness to her birth, and she did find someone, so that was a good thing. Not everyone can be that lucky. 
 
That said, I myself am an example of a person who was born in a certain hospital on the other side of the river, and then brought home, so that my listed birthplace is a place where I never actually lived, so it could happen. There could be something about New York. 
 
But then again, she lived in Pennsyvlania, so there is really nothing in New York for us, other than the other puzzling document.