Monday, April 15, 2024

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I vaguely remember that I was maybe 7 years old, and I was standing outside in the yard, to the side of the house, and she came striding along the sidewalk, older and bigger than myself, and wielding a big stick, and muttering maybe some terrifying threat against white girl, I forget what she said. And did I say something to provoke that? I don't remember. Everything about that has gone blurry in my mind.

I am surprised to hear that some people would actually remember who she was. I did not know who she was. I probably thought that she was just random black person walking along the sidewalk, not seen before or since, so not really someone who would matter to my life in the long run. I just happened to be the random little white girl who happened to be standing there in the line of sight at the time. It could have happened to any white girl, I suppose.