Sunday, October 2, 2022

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I remember hearing that David was planning to cast me in the role of Miss Haversham of "Great Expectations," the jilted woman and elderly spinster who sits there eternally contemplating her mouldering wedding cake. Hmmm.... Thanks (sarcastically0! But how can I protest against some errant man who I never  liked that much anyway, to be really honest about that. I don't feel so much jilted as accidentally stuck in someone else's melodramatic soap opera. I have probably done that to other people myself on occasion, so I can't say too much about it. But after all, isn't my head full of those Bronté novels that I read during high school? Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, the crazy ex-wife meets Heathcliff. Charlotte Brontë was certainly a genius writer, even if the so-called reality she stitched together was somewhat depressing and nonsensical. Makes you glad to be born after the 19th century, so that all of that stuff is just ancient history to be studied analytically for its lack of common sense. And whoever heard of Jane Austen? Actually I had never read any Jane Austen, but now that I have, I see that she speaks wittily of the financial constraints of maintaining a role in genteel society. And now that I know that is just all about blood type, a fluke of blood chemistry, I can be aware that I don't have to take the disappointment so personally. It's just the system.