Sunday, June 11, 2023

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I vaguely remember that during the year that I was living in Guadalajara, Mexico, when I was 8 years old, one day at school there some sort of scuffle in the hallways among some girls. It seems incredible that you would be asking me what was their problem. At that time, my Spanish was not so advanced as it became later, and also these little brown girls all looked the same to me. How would I know what their private problem was? No explanation was offered. Besides which, they all would habitually refer to me, whether directly or indirectly, in a sneering way, as that "gringa" white girl. That would be an automatic reflex of theirs, not really any thought processes going on there with which to dialogue. So I was the white "gringa" girl in the picture and, well, whatever that meant.