Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Which Reminds Me

I vaguely recall Karen Asmuth in college talking about that science fiction/fantasy book by Madeleine L'Engle, "A Wrinkle in Time," in which she describes the United States as some sort of "heart" object located somewhere outside of Washington D.C. which produces a regular heartbeat but occasionally flops out of its place and has to be repositioned. I don't quite remember Karen's opinion of that. She was just describing the book she had read which she really liked. But of course Madeleine L'Engle is a British author so we must recall that her opinion of America would be somewhat skewed to the British-Canadian angle, obviously. L'Engle was perhaps one of those Ink Blot Society people but I really don't remember. I never read a book twice. Maybe that was what Karen was saying. I myself did read that book later also but it did not mean that much to me. I really don't remember anything about "It."