Saturday, June 17, 2017

Which Reminds Me

It is true that there are some photos of the Yucatan Peninsula in our family photo collection. My parents visited there in the early 1960s but that was before they became missionaries to El Salvador. During their few days in the Yucatan, they visited with their friend Harley Veil, who is probably no longer living at this advanced time. He was reportedly a unique person but I don't remember if I ever actually met him so it is hard for us to imagine what it might be like to spend the rest of your life amongst the Mayan peoples of Mexico, having to adapt your message to their Mayan laws and culture in that extremely legalistic way of theirs. We were only tourists passing through, never having really lived in Texas, so we really cannot imagine the backyard motivations behind this odd emphasis on the Mayan legal system. We imagine that our U.S. citizenship overrides any Mayan legal snafus, no need to belabor the point, although I really can't speak for some of my high school classmates who may be illegally pretending to be the law's koalbringers. No, I am no in Texas and I don't work for the Mayans.