Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Which Reminds Me

You obviously have mistaken me for some other person and I cannot quite figure out who that might be because I certainly did not know anything about all this stuff. The easy thing to do would be to just play along for a short while and let you live with your mistake but conscience directs me rather to provide a correction, to make sure that you are brought to a renewed understanding that you are actually not talking to me. You are addressing some other person. You are talking to someone but it is not clear to me who that would be.

Living in Central America, a white person among a sea of browns, it often occurs that these brown people mistakenly imagine that any white person is extremely wealthy and affluent and thus in bargaining in the marketplace they are reluctant to lower the price. The bid is automatically set higher when they see the white person is the buyer. On one occasion we had our brown friend Conchi bargaining on something on our behalf but I really don't think it was worth it just to buy some piece of junk, to save ourselves a few pennies. I would rather just bargain for myself. I wouldn't want to be mistaken for that some Mayan brownie. I wouldn't be able to understand their issues or answer for them so the reverse is likewise true. (But it was an interesting experiment in how differently these primitives behave towards white people.)