Friday, June 9, 2017

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I do remember that my grandfather knew something about Sir Thomas More, who is supposedly one of our ancestors although I am not exactly sure how that could be true. I really don't see the connection but who am I to argue with Ancestry.com's old "Famous Relatives" button? It also turned up Geoffrey Chaucer. Anyway, Thomas More was the famous English lawyer who lost his head because he made the effort to develop some elaborate legal arguments designed to prevent Henry VIII from divorcing his first wife Catherine. It was a wasted effort due to that thorny truth that the King's will is the law, at least in some cases, especially such personal issues as marriage and divorce. So who wants the thankless job of reviving Thomas More's arguments on Catherine's behalf, doubtless to the benefit mostly of Spain, a dry place of very hot weather. Yes, why would I ever talk about that?