Sunday, June 25, 2017

Which Reminds Me

Yes, during high school, that was nice of Gail Reese, wife of Baptist missionary Jerry Reese, to invite us, my sister and I, to participate in a group sewing project. We were to sew each of us a pair of Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. We met a few times at the Reese's home where we cut out the pieces and partly sewed them. Time was growing short at the end of the school year as we were preparing to leave the country. Mrs. Reese dropped off at our house a box of stuffing, crumbly plastic foam, so we stuffed our pieces, doll arms and legs and body and head, until we ran out of stuffing, and had nothing left to send back for them to use. Sorry but we have to leave the country now. They will just have to find more stuffing somewhere else to finish their dolls. For a long time I had those doll pieces stored away somewhere in a box but without the pattern and instructions it would be hard for me to continue that. Raggedy Ann is a fictional character who appears in children's storybooks, some of which I had read at age 10 or 11.

Coincidentally, I can't remember whether Ann Campbell was there at the Reeses' house. Anyway, I don't remember anyone saying anything about Ann, whether or not she was invited or why. It wouldn't be appropriate to ask something about that even if the thought had occurred to me, which it hadn't.

Oh, was there some other meaning to the sewing project that someone forgot to tell me? Ann is so incredibly vain she probably thinks this song is about her. I often am not invited to parties and if I let that bother me I would just cry, but sometimes parties are really not that important.