Friday, June 16, 2017

Which Reminds Me

One year at college we were maybe at a retreat or some other type of prayer meeting near the beginning of the school year and during some kind of prayer meeting of small groups there were some girls having an emotional time crying and hugging each other and probably praying. It was very crowded there and I overheard Joe Gaffney making some comments about all these dikes, in particular referring to Charlotte and her pack of friends because she was sort of overwrought crying and hugging all her friends. I overheard that because we were all crowded standing on top of each other and I happened to be within earshot of Joe, not because I ever had any conversation with Joe. Later, Dauna K. asked me if I remembered something about that and I said that actually yes I do remember overhearing Joe's commentary. Not that Joe's opinion matters very much. Joe is a sort of geeky redneck whose braggadocious bluster was well known on campus. So? Why are we still talking abut that?