Monday, August 7, 2017

Which Reminds me

Yes, I seem to remember receiving some message from the Chinese complaining about Smith. I believe the reference was to Arthur Henderson Smith (1845-1932), who served in China many years as a missionary. Coincidentally, there is an Arthur Smith who is a cousin or uncle of my great-grandmother but that is a completely different story. You were complaining about Smith's severe descriptions of "Chinese Characteristics" in his book of that title. So I looked at the book and agree that it is not very quotable in some places. And yet paradoxically he was very prolific. I don't know how to explain that. He was very accomplished at what he did, even if some people looking to find fault with him and missionaries generally are wanting to use that antagonistic spirit as a device for furthering their own anti-American interests.