Monday, December 3, 2018

Which Reminds Me

I have two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents and sixteen great-great-grandparents.

Interestingly, one of my great-grandparents sets was Mr. Barth, a butcher of mostly German or Swiss descent, who married Miss Levines, who was the daughter of Caroline Smith and Mr. Archibald Levins or Levines, a Canadian in New York. He died in 1895. Levins is a name that I do not know very much about. Is it a French translation of "the vines" or is it some other ethnic derivation? Yes, I imagine that someone will perhaps want to make jokes about bottlers and bakers and candlestick makers. I am getting that there is more to that story than what I originally heard, but I was not there very often so I probably did not hear everything about that. How can I be expected to "do" something about that when I am not sure what else happened. Caroline was his second wife, whom he married after the death of his first wife, nee Little, mother of Esther Levens. After Caroline died, he married Margaret Mitchell. Even so, I have no idea who those people are. They never tell me anything.