Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Mary vs. Elizabeth

Yes, all these references to the battle between Mary Stuart Queen of Scots and Queen Elizabeth Tudor I of England are getting ridiculous. That history has nothing to do with me and my family. I have no real connection to British royalty so it does not make any sense. Like the vast majority of Americans, my ancestors left England long ago and I know very little about that. If my ancestors were Catholic that would have been before they became Protestants during the Protestant Reformation. And anyway, how many times do I have to explain that I am not nor ever was Catholic? Just because my high school was mostly Catholic, that does not make me Catholic. It was not a religious school so just studying Spanish literature does not necessarily make one Catholic, atheist, Marxist, etc. Besides, Elizabeth is actually my Dad's cousin, not mine. She might be my third cousin once or twice removed. Elizabeth has no children but neither does a Mary that I know. And anyway, Elizabeth is not the queen of anything that I would want. Her parents were missionaries in Venezuela, not El Salvador, so we really do not have much in common. Just living in Houston does not make one a member of the royal aristocracy of America. Besides, aspiring to royal aristocracy is not necessarily a recipe for success. Just look at Mary Queen of Scots the Catholic queen who was mother of the heir but was ultimately beheaded for treason at age 44. Her first marriage to the King of France did nothing to enhance her popularity in England even though the French-Scottish alliance was really her mother's idea. And she spent much of her life conspiring with the Spanish to kill Elizabeth and seize the throne of England. Later, her descendants ruled England but did nothing to further the Catholic cause that she championed. Thus, denying husband and children to the Protestant Queen Elizabeth did nothing to stop the Protestant Reformation because a move of God was underway and it was not just a matter of Henry VIII's divorce. There was a lot more to Protestantism than just a divorce. The Reformation was something that the people of England wanted and which the rulers and leadership of England continued to affirm in various treaties. Thus, it logically follows that they must have me confused with some other Mary, Mary Anderson, perhaps, or Mary .... . I just don't know. They obviously know something else about Mary but I can't really comment intelligently without knowing more about that.