Saturday, February 12, 2022

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I vaguely remember that almost their entire campus history became embroiled in a college talent show that was staged by themselves, starring mostly themselves, and organized by mostly themselves. Given that complete information was not provided, I cannot explain why the lawyer in-law of the Cole family, who was apparently in the audience that evening, launched some sort of legal complaint about the copyright infringements inherent in the talent show skits that were based on various TV show scenarios and songs borrowed from what was popular at that time on TV and radio. Most of the information that I had was via Lynda, which is to say not necessarily complete information, only that the Cole lawyer believed that the college should be paying an ASCAP fee to cover these various usages of copyrighted music and skit materials from such shows as "I Love Lucy," "Sonny and Cher" and the "Carol Burnett Show." How that was resolved by the college I really have no idea. Who was saying that I was in cahoots with the Cole family lawyer? I never discussed this matter with them and did not know anything about it. I had a tiny bit part singing in a choir and that might as well count as nothing because I might as well not have been there at all and I would rather forget about that, thanks anyway. And now they sit there like a ton of bricks waiting for nothing to happen, because I really didn't care that much. That wasn't about me. I would rather avoid provoking those prickly pears so obviously I would not be involved in launching any legal complaint, never mind that my Calkins grandparents were close friends of the parents of the lawyer's wife, and besides, who thinks of that while sitting in an audience? Only a lawyer on the bar.