Friday, February 18, 2022

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I have completely forgotten who was that yapping about the breeding and raising of thoroughbreds, which upon first hearing I might have thought was a reference to horses. However, upon reflection, I must confess that I am not a thorough student of Thoreau, so such a point would go right past me unnoticed and unremarked. Thoreau, wasn't he the hermit of Walden Pond? Being such a famous American writer and poet, he probably did have some good lines, which can easily be said without ever reading his works, but somehow I doubt that his works alone could quite constitute an entire philosophy of life. One might as easily be found looping around the circle of life in a plodding and pseudo-pagan way without ever getting much, if Thoreau were the only gauge of progress. He speaks of "Arabian drugs," but does not specify whether that would be coffee or something else. You like to boast of your New England weaponry, but much as we liked what New England used to be in another time, even New England would bend the knee in the day of final reckoning, whenever that happens, I cannot say when. No man knows the day nor the hour. God is merciful and slow to anger, so it is hard to say when that would happen.