Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Which Reminds Me

The college from which I graduated with a BA degree, Southern California College, was recently renamed. The new name of it is Vanguard University, the origins of which name I am not fully apprised, except to say that much earlier the college's singing group led by Noel Wilson was called the Vanguard, and so it would seem logical to expand the name's usage to the entire college, if you can pass the singing audition, supervised by Noel Wilson.

Meanwhile, someone else perhaps is speculating on our college's connection to the literary Vanguardist movement of Spain. Yes, I suppose there could be some points to be made if you can read and write Spanish or have ever been to Spain. Even so, that was probably not what the college leadership had in mind, at least not originally. Even so, myself not having the Ph.D. in Spanish, I probably wouldn't want to explore this point any further.