Sunday, January 28, 2018

Which Reminds Me

For about six years I worked for the South Florida Newspaper Network, mostly as a staff writer and also later an assistant editor. For the first two or three years that I was there, starting in 1992, the company was owned by a certain Mr. Worrell who was also an avid collector of antique cars. Some of his prize cars were stored in one section of the first floor of that building in Deerfield Beach, located down the street from a hotel owned by Merv Griffin and also Don King's headquarters. Later the company was sold to private investors who were actually the company's executives. A year or so after that the company was sold to the Tribune company which publishes the Sun-Sentinel, the local daily. And time goes on. Only much more recently, browsing through Facebook, do I notice that that obnoxious woman who was pastor's secretary at our church for many years, lists Worrell as one of her surnames. She is on husband number three or four now so I am not sure what that means. Was Worrell her maiden name or is she otherwise related to the owner of the company that I worked for? How odd that no one ever mentioned this to me.