Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Which Reminds Me

Yes, there seems to be an ongoing debate over possible translations for the word "riachuelos," which means a small type of river, a rivulet or stream or brook. Although any of these options are workable, rivulets being probably the most literal, I see that many are campaigning for the word "brooks," although, I don't know why I am turned off by the thought of using such a cutesy-puke and tritely overdone word, perhaps only because your surname happens to be "Brooks" or similar. How useless would it be for me to campaign against the modern omission of the word "calkins" which was an attachment to a horseshoe, a certain type of horseshoe, but which is no longer in usage or common circulation one might say? I don't know why this matters, but certainly we are not the only surname not now found in commonplace usage. Needless to say.