Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Speaking of Dutch

I am somehow reminded of Brother Andrew. What Christian has not heard of Brother Andrew's exploits smuggling Bibles into countries that were behind the Iron Curtain. Of course, that was the mid-20th century, before the fall of the Iron Curtain. Now that the Iron Curtain has fallen, without a Berlin Wall, a tilting windmill, to battle, how will the Dutchman keep those Open Doors propped open? Someone was asking this question but why were they asking me? I am not very connected to the Open Doors organization, although I do remember hearing the stories, reading the books. Who is to say that the Brother Andrew's smuggling of Bibles, all that prayer and care, did not have its intended effect in toppling the Berlin Wall and bringing down the Iron Curtain? Who is to say what is in store for Christians of the 21st century? Which reminds that while I was working in California at Hermano Pablo's for one year, they were renting space in the building to someone connected to Open Doors. I remember that Mark Carpenter, a co-worker, was saying some things about that lady and her ministry but I don't remember anything specific. What was her name? I don't remember anything about her now, just that she was a Messianic Jew, so I really wouldn't be able to say much. Of course, Mark Carpenter was tapping the phones and taking copious notes on every phone conversation, for which he was fired later, as we heard later, so you might have more luck asking Mark.