Saturday, May 7, 2011

Nora

Nora was the heroine of the 19th century play by Henrik Ibsen which did a lot for legitimizing the idea of divorce and women's liberation at a time when society was very strict about those things and the role of woman was very very limited. So we studied this play in Spanish translation in Spanish literature class as part of our study of European classics.

Obviously there is no connection between our discussion of European classic literature and the story of Nora Lam, the Chinese woman who in the 1950s or 1960s divorced her abusive husband and became a famous minister and author. I remember Sue Olen talking about Nora Lam but I do not remember what Sue said nor did I ever read any of Nora's books or know anything about her. I just have no clue about Nora.

I was just doing my homework. That's all that was about.