Sunday, May 5, 2013

Tribal Structures

It is hard to understand why everyone is so interested in the building of a tribal structure to incorporate all of the distant branches of the Barth family, as if there were anything but a few old photographs to bring us all together. I really never know any of my Dad's four uncles well, and I never met Ben or Sam in person at all so I really don't feel any sense of belonging to the family per se. Some of those people I am only aware of through reading the diaries. Other than that, there is no reason for me to imagine that Uncle Ariel's family was ever any more important than ours. And anyway, does not the Bible tell us that we must be willing to forsake all family ties in order to accomplish the Kingdom of God? Not that we don't have family responsibilities but if they are only going to constantly hammer on me and try to interfere with my spiritual life then I will gladly dump all of those worthless relatives in the dumpster of forgetfulness. There is no reason for me to feel intimidated by those empty-headed people who never really met me anyway and never cared if I lived or died. I am not interested in applying for membership into some tribal structure whose composition does not inspire respect or admiration let's just say. Although the leadership of David might seem somewhat benign right now, I would not want to have to worry about someone's fifth cousin-in-law out in California later using that structure to heap curses on my head because I don't fit their definition of Sharon's Law. And who is Sharon anyway but just another useless member of the Walking Dead? We are not Arab dogs that we should need a tribal crutch to lean on. We are fine without tribal idiots to run everything into the ground, thanks anyway.