Friday, May 17, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Years ago while Jennie was visiting her relatives here in Florida I called the phone number that she had given me and the person who answered the telephone was, I am assuming, her brother-in-law who immediately started quoting some surreal lines from E.E. Cummings, the famous American poet whose name sort of sounds like "Comings," not to be confused with Leisa Goins, who was a college classmate of ours at SCC, whose name sort of sounds like "Goings" and married Herbert Cierley. Oh, I did not know that. I was not aware of all of these insider connections. I don't recall the specific lines from Cummings, maybe something telephone-related although I would only be guessing. I mean, how would I know? It could have been anything. Which only proves that Jennie's family are sort of weird and her presence here is a nuisance to me. I never really cared that much about this type of insider joke. So just winning the Teen Challenge Contest only gets you so far in the music world, until you have to actually open your mouth and prove that your reading habits were limited to a certain textbook. Which only proves that I always was out of the cheerleader loop which is no surprise to me. I never really liked those people that much anyway.