Thursday, September 12, 2013

Which Reminds Me

One day I was out walking with Machelle Bush around the streets of Chesapeake, Virginia, and she was telling me about her family's mineral or land rights in Texas. I mentioned that my mother also has mineral rights in Texas so maybe I sort of understand what she is talking about, and then again maybe not. Mineral rights are complicated. I might have mentioned the town of Spur but I was wrong on that point. I was confused. My grandfather's brother might have lived in Spur at one time or another but the mineral rights are not at Spur. I would not want to say anything more specific than that in a public forum given that, for one thing, the mineral rights don't belong to me and may never belong to me if I die before my mother, and also I would not want to hide my light under a bushel basket. No personal information belongs to Michelle only because her last name is Bush. No, the time is not ripe to discuss the specific of mineral rights just because a bunch of nosy busybodies want to know more more more. So, yes, we might have some distant relatives in Texas but I don't know them personally. I could not be sure whether they are my friends or my enemies so there is no reason to say more at this time. I would want to know whereof I speak before I would say anything, and as Thumper Rabbit always said, "If you can't say something nice, shhhh, say nothing."