Saturday, September 14, 2013

Which Reminds Me

What would a pirate flag, black though it be, without a chattering white skull and crossbones in the center? Perhaps that is where I come in. I don't know. But this is not what I asked God for. Our Bible teachers often tell us to ask for God's will, which includes wisdom for stewardship of what God has entrusted to us, and yet when I ask for wisdom to know and follow God's will, I do not get what I asked for. For bread, they give me a stone. This proves only that he, the anonymous eavesdropper, was not God. He was only the Devil, obviously, and nothing good can be expected from the interfering Devil who would confound faith with mindless stupidity and gullible acquiescence to the dictates of piratical tyrants. Of course, in the End Times of the beast there will be no choice but yield to the darkness or die.

Yes, and did not Jesus let his disciple Bartholomew also speak to Satan, according to the apocryphal story? And did not Bartholomew ask the Devil various questions. But we have no need of Bartholomew's apocryhpal text when we have our salvation secure. Only Christ can solve the dilemmas of time and eternity. Perhaps that is why Bartholomew's book is not included in the cannon. It doesn't help.