Friday, September 20, 2013

Which Reminds Me

One day while living in El Salvador one of the missionaries, John Bueno, who had lived many years in Chile, was talking about the chaperonage system that was at one time prevalent in Latin America. For them it would be scandalous for a girl to be alone with a guy at any time. For them there must always be a third party present to make sure that nothing happens and the girl's reputation is safeguarded. Of course that system is like Stone Age archaic for Americans of modern times in the United States. Nobody wants to live like Chileans of the 1930s and nobody wants to be a chaperone, especially not me. That was a century ago. Here in the United States all the women would be killed for having gone on a date of any kind so obviously John's rigid rules are unworkable and apply only to his own family. I heard him telling that story but I thought it was quaint the way they think. I have pretty good judgment so I know that my reputation is just fine even if you don't and there is really no reason some idiots to be worrying about me when it is actually probably someone else who lost it. That is how they work. They hit up the innocent by way of drawing attention to probably someone else who is guilty. I could name names but that would be too rude.