Thursday, September 5, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Books that my mother has on her bookshelf include:

1. Land of the Lighthouse, by Grace Hatler, as told to Dorothy Molan, Another American Baptist Mission Book. Grace Hatler, a native of Arkansas, was a Baptist missionary in El Salvador starting from 1954 until whenever she left or died. I don't much how long she was there. It seems too much to imagine that she would still be alive but I really would not know. The name Hatler should not to be confused with Hatleys who were never in El Salvador. Grace Hatler was interviewed for the book by Dorothy Molan, another American Baptist person. I was not aware of the American Baptist people or whether they were connected in some way to the Baptist Bells and Reeces. We were Pentecostal which is somewhat different from Baptist. We don't exactly see eye to eye with the Baptists in certain points of doctrine. It gets complicated as you can imagine, the various groups that are not much aware of each other. I only remember that this book was recommended to us by Lois Stewart which is probably why my mother somehow acquired this copy of the book somewhere, I don't remember where. Perhaps someday I should actually read Grace's book. Our copy features a painting of presumably Izalco erupting so probably the volcano is mentioned in the book, one would imagine. So I remember that this book exists but I am Grace, who should not be confused with Mrs. Grace Richardson, a Canadian who was our teacher at the MK school for quite a few years before she went to Africa. I know nothing about Grace Hatler.

2. The Story of Antigua Guatemala, by Dorothy H. Popenoe. The book's preface describes this as a guide for visitors to the ruined capital city of colonial Guatemala, Antigua, a place that we did visit while on vacation from El Salvador during the years that we lived there. No biographical information is available on Dorothy H. Popenoe, who derives the story from letters of the Conquistadors and the annals left by the Cakchiquel Indians, accounts of priests and other eyewitnesses of the historical events surrounding the destruction of the city of Santiago de los Caballeros.

3. When Harley Heard from Heaven: In his own words...: The autobiography of Harley W. Vail, a missionary to the Yucatan area of Mexico who was a friend of my parents and visited by them sometime in the 1960s. My Dad has some funny stories about their visit with Harley W. Vail, who in addition to preaching at some local churches there also took them to see the pyramids there.