Saturday, September 19, 2015

Which Reminds Me

During my second year at SCC the Musicians Guild was created mainly to organize an annual talent show. The first of the talent shows was organized that year and was quite elaborate. Only the upper class music majors and their favorites were allowed to participate in the main acts. The left-over people were herded into a small choir to sing PDQ Bach numbers directed by Sharon. Lynda told me later that there was a lawyer in the audience who, upon hearing so much copyrighted material being performed without benefit of license, charged the college with wrongful doings. He charged that the college should be paying a fee to the copyright agency, ASCII?, to cover the royalties due to the original artists who composed these popular numbers. Lynda was not clear on the nature of the settlement but said that part of the agreement was that I would be blamed for bringing along a lawyer even though I have no idea who this lawyer might be or how he got there. Lynda said that the lawyer was connected to the Cole family. Uh, well, I do know that the Cole family were close friends of my grandparents. Ed Cole at one time worked for my grandfather's plastering contractor business, before he became a traveling minister and evangelist, even before he got saved, but that is a whole different story. Who this other lawyer might be or how he might be connected to the Cole family, I would be at a complete loss to say. I certainly never discussed any such thing with any lawyer, Cole or otherwise. I would not want to be thrust into the position of having to either defend or prosecute a silly college talent show. It just wouldn't be worth it to me. I would rather pick my own battles.