Sunday, December 13, 2015

Which Reminds Me

During my second semester at Evangel College, on a very cold winter morning, some girls came into my room and everyone was talking about some things of future expectation, dating and marriage and the like, and various things were said on such topics. Some of the things that were said were quite similar to things that I already knew because my mother already explained that to me anyway, excluding some other things that they were talking about. So it was nice to see that they, too, have good mothers who already explained that to them anyway, and also have supplemented that with other magazine reading not known to mothers. It is not like they would need me to explain that to them also when they already know that and more. I suppose that one could speculate on whether they had compared notes with my mother or someone else, or whether these things are just universal knowledge that everybody already knows anyway. I think that if I had a daughter, that I too would want to provide a framework of reality for her future life in explaining the facts of life generally speaking. However, I did not feel at that time any urgent need or desire to show them my stuff or to prove my stuff to them. Whence comes this notion that I have to prove myself to someone? I do not recall myself ever applying for the imaginary position of governess to someone else's daughter that I should have to endure some qualifying interview on these personal topics that are no concern of theirs. I think that would be a thankless task so obviously I am not going to do that. I do not feel the need to explain the facts of life to just anyone so that some crazy pack of dogs could more easily exploit and abuse me. I think that whether or not I get married and have a daughter later, still I have a fairly good idea of the facts of life, never mind about the crazy notions expressed about some other people.