Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Which Reminds Me

Recently, upon reading the diaries of great-grandmother, we learn that she stopped in Iowa in 1960 to visit the Butterfield cousins. That is the only time that Iowa is ever mentioned in any type of family context. If I had not read the diaries I never would have had any thought of Iowa. Since the Butterfields were always busying moving around the globe, it was always so hard for us to keep track of them. Where were in the world were they and why should we care about Iowa? Iowa is a place of no interest to me, a place that I have ever been and would not care to go given its reputation for extremely cold winters and utter irrelevance to anything that matters. A Square Deal to me would be to lop Iowa off the map and sell it to Canada but I really have the wherewithal to do that.