Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ancestors

Yes, it was interesting to know that Uncle Merritt's daughter, is doing some research into the Calkins side of the family. She is the one who originally did some research into that. I don't know very much about it. I am not sure but we may have some distant cousins in the Northwest, not that it makes very much difference in my life. We were never descended from C.C. Calkins, builder of the Calkins Hotel, and anyway what was left of the property was sold before the grief-stricken man abandoned Seattle so probably no one has any claim there. We might have some pacifists over there on that side of the family somewhere. I do remember seeing some draft card info but I don't remember who it was. I would have to redo my research. And should I apologize for my distant relatives of that era and side of the family who conscientiously objected to serving in the armed forces for whatever reasons during World War I? I suppose they had their reasons at the time, religious and otherwise, and the laws of the time allowed for that so I do not see any reason why I should feel guilt or any need to act out some type of atonement for their omission in not participating in the military machine. If the Butterfields feel themselves obligated to enlist then that is their choice but there is no reason for them to inflict their sense of obligation upon me. I do feel like we should honor our soldiers who risk life and limb to protect national safety but I also am grateful that I don't have to do that. It is sad that the current state of affairs requires the existence of the military machine but sometimes these military people forget that it is not about having the right to beat up on people like me which makes them a dishonorable embarrassment to the rest of the family. It is a matter of survival and self-defense which is honorable. If we let our enemies walk all over us we just won't have a life. Which is why we have to keep these relatives in their places.