Thursday, February 10, 2011

Nigerian

Yes, what was the name of that Nigerian guy who was in journalism classes with us? I do not remember his name. I would have to dig around and do not know if I have it anywhere anyway. He was not a friend of mine. I only remember that in class he perhaps more than once started talking about Louis Farrakhan and the meetings that he attended in which he was greatly impressed by the words and speeches of Farrakhan. We were a bit taken aback and not knowing exactly what to say to him because, really, Louis Farrakhan is not a Christian. He is a Muslim, obviously. So why would a black guy who professes to be a Christian, if I remember rightly the son of a pastor in Nigeria, be attending the meetings of Louis Farrakhan and talking about how wonderful it is that those guys have set up a wonderful community for black people, a model for black people everywhere? I do not know that I have answers for this question. I do not know what happened to him. Every time I would go on campus he often seemed to be there lurking around, perhaps also doing his homework like everyone else, so it would be rude to say anything about that, especially as maybe a white girl like me is not the appropriate person to say anything. Perhaps someone else did but I really would not know about that.