Saturday, February 5, 2011

Single Women Missionaries

Yes, everyone is perhaps expecting me to follow in the footsteps of the many single women missionaries and be bossy and tell everyone what to do. I could try but then I would fail and that would be stupider than just not trying. You see:

1. Failure vs. Success: If I already know that everyone is poised with knife in hand waiting for me to jump in with my opinion about everything so that they can tear me apart then the smartest thing I could do is just not try in the first place. Thus it logically follows that I will not fail. I am not planning to fail so success means not to be killed by definition. The saying goes that if you do nothing you will succeed at doing nothing has a certain ring of truth to it. Sure, I could do something but just doing whatever is not going to get me anywhere. So at least I will succeed at doing nothing which is better than failing at doing whatever they want.

2. Personality Type: Yes, most of the single women missionaries I ever heard of are very overbearing and domineering types of women. That personality type seems to lend itself to that sort of missionary work. Without that type of women perhaps many things would never get done, such as the building of an orphanage as Lillian Thrasher did in Assiout, Egypt, and so forth. After all, there are some things that a man is just never going to do. Few women ever become church pastors but those who do perhaps go where there is no man available to do the job. However, I am just not the type. I wish this riff-raff would stop pestering me with the prospect that I might be another Lillian Thrasher/Angie Thomson because I am just not interested in raising money to build orphanages in Romania. I know enough about Angie to know that we should go our separate ways. Maybe someone really should do that but it won't be me. I am just not the type.

3. Copycats: If I did that I would just be accused of copycatting because Angie already did that so I can't do that. Anything I might do would have to be original to me due to the copycatting problem so that means that I cannot do anything. Anything I could ever think of to do has already been thought of, as Ecclesiastes has put it so eloquently. There is nothing new under the sun.