Sunday, February 20, 2011

Presbyterians

I do not recall ever saying that I myself was Presbyterian. My grandfather was Presbyterian, his own father having been a frontier minister with Cumberland Presbyterian. I am not even sure what "Cumberland" Presbyterian is except that it is perhaps a transplant of Scottish Presbyterianism to America. I don't know much. I do not recall us ever having any contact with the "Cumberland" Presbyterian side of the family, if there still is one, so I really cannot comment. We are not aware of my grandfather ever attending the Presbyterian church or, for that matter, meetings of the Freemasons in which he was a member. He might have sorted of drifted away from church after he married my grandmother, who was a Methodist. So it is rather baffling to figure out why this would matter at all in this present day and age when the past is moldering in musty archives that we never read and in some cases may not even be aware of.