Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Which Reminds Me

While we were living in El Salvador, at one time the church we attended, the Evangelistic Center, rented the movie theater around the corner to show some Christian movies. I remember inside that theater on the wall were inscribed various quotations from the poetry of Ruben DarĂ­o, a Nicaraguan poet whose works are sort of embarrassing to read if you know what I mean. More recently I heard that the church actually bought out almost the entire city block on which it was located, which likely means they also bought the theater. I imagine that in remodeling the interior of the theater they would have removed the poetry from the walls but I really would not be able to corroborate that firsthand as we were already gone from the country by that time. One sort of imagines that a church would not appreciate having that verbiage on the walls of its school auditorium. His books are required reading in high school there but nothing specific comes to mind in retrospect. I suppose that I could look it up but why bother?