Monday, January 27, 2014

Which Reminds Me

Yes, our family did visit Uncle Winfred's house in Weatherford, Texas, one time. I was still in high school, about to start my senior year in El Salvador, and we took a two-week vacation in Texas. Our friend Susie Stewart was along for the ride. We mainly visited Houston, where the Wright family lives, and also the Dallas area, where we found the shopping good. We drove around and saw my mother's childhood haunts and also the Strickland ranch house in Texas where Hazel was very nice and friendly to us and fed us lunch, mostly vegetables, so typical of Texas farm people who are usually such amazingly good cooks. I know my grandmother's cornbread was probably better. Even Cracker Barrel does not quite have the touch. But anyway there was the okra that my mother loves and black-eyes peas and all that good stuff that Texas farm people love to eat. This is white people's farm food, not to be confused with black people's farm food, not that I would know anything about that. There was also a yellow-meated watermelon which my mother had talked about. She wanted us to experience that, and the yellow ones really do have a slightly different flavor. Uncle Winfred's daughter was visiting with college with her boyfriend. They were sitting in the living room and we might have been briefly introduced at the time but I don't think they joined us for lunch. I really don't remember very much.