Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Poem

Yes, and what is everyone waiting for me to say or do? I just cannot imagine why everyone is expecting something from me or what it could be. I do not remember ever going through all those old papers before but I finally did tonight, with nobody watching, and there was nothing important there worth mentioning. Perhaps Cousin Richard wants me to play the role of Tricky Sal but, really, Richard, I pass. The role does not fit me at all. I would not even remember enough about that to even know how to punch Cousin Richard's lights out if I had not gone through the papers tonight, finally. How dare you do that to me?

"... over the menu; "none of your _a la_ dishes for _this_ child! Sorry, old girl, but I'm in training. Will you order broiled steak and pale ale for me? I'm going to box Tricky Sal, the coloured girl-boxer from the Other Side. Wonder how she'll like my upper-cut and left-hand jab! Isn't it glorious, people? I've got my ambition! I'm a White Hope! See if we don't fill the Colidrome at ..."   Punch, or the London Charivari, June 10, 1914 • Various