Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rob Schmidt

On Sadie Hawkins Day it is customary for the girl to ask the guy out on a date. This was especially true at Evangel College and Sadie Hawkins Day occurred some time in the spring. I remember that there was a guy who lived in our brother dorm, Kraiss First North, whose name was Rob Schmidt. Once when we all went ice skating he invited me to ice skate with me and we were holding hands and as we were going around the corner I fell on my rear end on the ice so that was embarrassing. And then later, not long before Sadie Hawkins Day, some of us were sitting around the table after lunch and Rob Schmidt was there talking mostly to Kathy, the artist from Colorado. Rob was talking more to Kathy than to me, and then Kathy suggested that I ask Rob out for Sadie Hawkins Day but I did not do that. I did not ask Rob out for Sadie Hawkins Day. I cannot say exactly why I did not do that, something about feeling hesitant or uncomfortable. Why did Kathy not ask him herself? I do not know why it seemed so important to Kathy and yet it would seem that I would be snubbing Rob if I did not ask him out as Kathy demanded. So anyway it turns out that I did not ask Rob out and I think he did feel a bit slighted and was rather icily silent toward me ever afterward which really does not bother me all that much because for some reason I was already feeling sort of uncomfortable around Rob anyway. So everything turned out for the best as there were no future opportunities for me to embarrass myself in the eyes of Rob Schmidt.