Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Theological Abstracts

I vaguely remember that during the two years that I worked at Vida Publishers in Miami, almost every day of the week I would have lunch upstairs sitting usually with Pam Roberts and Sue Olin. Pam is a motormouth usually talking all about herself and her boyfriend, every detail of their relationship ad nauseum. Sue usually talks about theology, especially abundant life theology, the prosperity gospel, meaning the Copeland and Hagin idea of the Word of Faith theology in which whatever one says is whatever comes to reality. Thus if I say that I am duck I am a duck. What can I say? My Dad, an Assemblies of God missionary, is the one full of "blab it and grab it" jokes so we really don't fit very well into that circle of theological thought although we have to be nice to these people because they have a lot of money. Just because I used to have a little sign "Mental Ward" posted in my room as a joke, which I bought at the mall in Springfield, MO, maybe at the Spencer's store, during my first year of college, that does not mean that I actually inhabit a mental ward or deserve to go there in the "Word of Faith" sense of thing. Anyway, my mom made me get rid of that sign a long time ago because she was worried about the influence of it but anyway it was not about my needing psychiatric care. It was just that maybe nothing makes sense for me. Someone always seems to be pulling the rug out from under me or something like that so I was just sort of trying to make lemonade in a manner of speaking.