Sunday, July 1, 2012

Past Conversations

I vaguely seem to remember having this conversation at some time in the past with someone whose identity I cannot quite recall, something about how we should not be too hard on those poor simple-minded Chinese Pentecostals whose views of the Trinity are not exactly Orthodox because lots of Christians are not exactly Orthodox for various reasons. Like, for example, anyone who is not Anglican is not an Orthodox Christian. Huh? Wrong! Actually, lots of Orthodox Christians are not Anglicans. Lots of Orthodox Christians are non-conforming in the Anglican sense of confirmation and yet wholeheartedly adhere to the basic Christian tenets set forth in the Nicean Creed. Anyway, the true invisible church, the Bride of Christ, is not synonymous with any particular human institution, much as we may pride ourselves in the achievements of our particular institutions. So there was no reason for you to try to dump me in the Anglican bucket. I have met people who were Anglicans back in school days, and they certainly are opinionated people as I recall, but anyway we all are entitled to our opinions and we all believe ourselves to be at the center of God's will and everyone else in non-conformity typically. The only Anglicans I ever met at SCC were my sister's roommates Jill Anderson and Linda Harrington. Other than that I really don't remember who was saying that, although Sherri Turnbull is certainly very opinionated as I recall. Maybe Sherri knows more about this Anglican stuff than I do.