Saturday, May 3, 2014

Which Reminds Me

Perhaps it would seem too sanctimonious to say this, but I am feeling sort of good that I never did succumb to the temptation that was dangled before me of submitting my resume to the Sleazily Swaggering camp of Luis y Ana. I never did that, although Mr. Rentals seemed so sincere when he spoke to me of their staff needs. Yet for some reason I somehow felt myself constrained not to apply for a place in that dismal swamp. We did feel a certain degree of pity for Mr. Head-Wall, whose prehistoric technology seems to leave him out of the loop in modern-day publishing circles. It seemed so cool in the 70s to have a room full of computers with huge spinning discs and blinking lights. But nowadays everyone has their own home computer. No longer do we have any need for a simple-minded Swedish clerk to laboriously code our documents by typewriter: for Bold, for Italic, for Underling, etc. My WYSIWYG editor does all the coding I need automatically without my ever having to think that much about it, thank you very much.