Monday, June 30, 2014

Which Reminds Me

Yes, why all this yapping about Barbara Miller of Mississippi? Barbara was a schoolteacher at the missionary kid school for a year when I was in eleventh grade. Barbara was very talkative and always yapping about something. I remember that Stevie Bueno was always complaining about Barbara as his teacher because every morning during school she would be crying off and on because she was so depressed. Yes, well, Barbara was sort of dingy. She would come over to our house and complain about the son who lived in the house where she was living at the time, the house of the Navarrete family I seem to remember. Barbara would say that he was so mean to her. Yes, well, teenage guys are sometimes sort of mean to older single women, definitely. I don't actually recall the specifics of what she said about how he was being mean to her, just that she did complain about him. Perhaps my mother would remember something. She talked more to my mother than to us. But anyway, the Navarrettes are not exactly warm and friendly people as I recall. The patriarch of the Navarrete family was the church organist and he was very good at that even though sometimes some people seemed to recognize secular tunes such as "Glow Worm" that he was playing during offertories and interludes which might have seemed a little weird in church but, anyway, it was not my place to say anything about that. I don't remember very much about them so why is his mother complaining about me? I am not Barbara and don't even remember anything else about him.

Barbara would come over to our house and talk about the book of Job and other unanswerable dilemmas, also the so-called supremacy of Ole Miss, a Mississippi university of no interest to me.

Yes, and segueing directly to the point of oil well drilling, what was I supposed to do with this worthless hole in the ground? I am just a girl with no oil rig crew available to pump the money out of the ground.