Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I suppose that I should have not wasted so much time before reading all of the books of Harvey Reeves Calkins, whose family connection to us is so remote as to be not really worth mentioning. I suppose that I am descended from the more lower class branch of the Calkins that appeared on the West Coast, not really one of those snappy snarky Michiganders who have made themselves so utterly obnoxious that we willingly cede their state to Canadian authorities because we really don't want to be bothered with all of their snarky little widgets and wickedicisms. Now that I get into the "Mary Christopher" book I see little widgets all over the place even though I would really rather not be bothered with outlining that in so many words. Obviously Harvey makes some pretty good points that our pastors even now are obviously hitting on every weekend on Sunday mornings, all about how we really should pay a tenth of our income, our tithe, to the local church, which is indisputably true. I would only be hurting myself were I to argue against the importance of tithing so I won't. Even if some of Harvey's expressions might strike the modern reader as a bit quaint it is still a pretty book generally speaking if you wish to read a book on the subject of tithing. Anyway, the book was written in 1903, long before I was ever thought of so I really should not be expected to comment specifically on a book that I never knew existed, written by someone who died before I was born. Besides, my Dad's name is Harold, not Harvey. Just to clarify.