Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Which Reminds Me

When we were children, we, meaning my sister and Susie and I, made fake food and sent it to the beggar on the nearest street corner, who was apparently not pleased to be given a bottle to drink, and finding it to be mostly vinegar from salad dressing. I don't remember why we thought that was funny at the time. That was so mean of us, to give the poor beggar a bitter taste in his mouth. I don't remember why we did that, just some vague idea that we may have had that he was guilty of something, some crime of spending all his beggarly earnings on booze and lazily standing around penniless on street corners, thus deserving a dose of medicine to cure him of that propensity. I don't know whether that worked or backfired. Does make you wonder.

That happened at Susie's house. I doubt that we would have thought of that without some help from Susie and her maid.