Sunday, June 19, 2011

Throwback

One time we were visiting some people at their house not far from ours there in San Salvador and later my mother commented that the daughter looked so unlike her mother and siblings that she seemed like a "throwback" reflecting past generations. That is the word my mother used and which I probably repeated to someone although I do not remember who. Not really a nice word to use in describing someone but, well, it was, well, maybe sort of accurate in describing how I feel about those particular people in terms of throwing them back because they were not really my friends in the first place, only pretending to be friendly for some mysterious reason temporarily, for some vague idea of monetary gain attached to having white people in close proximity, but not really sincere about understanding or being a part of what we were actually doing there. So fine, sometimes when one goes fishing one catches a fish that is not ready for capture and thus is not thrown in the bucket for dinner but instead is thrown back into the water for some other fisherman to catch later on when the time is ripe, or something like that.